Friday, November 2, 2012

Special Blog Assignment

A world where grades will be left behind...


During USA Today's 30th Anniversary they have interviewed some of the world's greatest visionaries.  In one particular interview a man named Sebastian Thrun, most well known for his work at Google, has taken the center stage.  He is asked a battery of questions regarding the path of education in the next 30 years, and his response is surprising.  Thrun explains his work at Udacity, the education company he founded in January after teaching a free online artificial-intelligence course that drew more than 160,000 students.  He goes on to say that he has no crystal ball that can tell him the future of education, but he can say that it is ready for an overhaul.  The abilities that the internet gives an educator, as well as a student, has almost no boundaries.  An era of financially feasible (possibly free) higher level education and progression of web-based classroom is speeding this way, and Thrun and colleagues are at the helm. 

"In this version of education, learning will be free and available to anyone who wants it while operating like a whimsical playground: No one is late for class, failure is not an option, and a lesson looks something like Angry Birds, the physics-based puzzle game that has been downloaded more than 1 billion times."

I do believe that the field of education, from a professional standpoint, is on the forefront of radical change.  After reading that Thrun taught to over 160,000 students in one classroom sitting I pondered on my value to a profession that has that capability.  Since I am a education major and will not be finishing my degree for 2 more years, I have no experience or formal education that would merit anyone paying any attention to me.  So, I sit in a conundrum.  Of course I do realize the importance of engaging in social interaction is a reason brick-and-mortar schools are still around.  How long until I am no longer needed as a teacher after I have finally become one after 20 years of education?  I was asked to reflect upon the article, but instead find myself reflecting on a career choice.    

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jessie,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I seen no grammar or spelling errors at all. I liked how detailed you were with your post. You did a very good job with your links as well as sourcing your picture. All I can do is give compliments. Very good blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete